As a mother of five, doing laundry is a regular part of Sara Van Beck's routine. So when her washer started making loud whistling noises, she knew something was wrong.
But as the Freeport, Minnesota, mom went to investigate her 3-year-old , she suddenly heard an explosion.
"It sounded like a bomb. It was so surreal," Sara told .
In the middle of its spin cycle, the machine had burst open, throwing ball bearings at Sara and sending her to the ground. She hit her head, and the fall knocked her unconscious.
"I remember waking up," Sara said. "My head hurt. I couldn't move."
When Sara went to call for help, she quickly realized her phone was in another room, but thankfully she could call her husband from her Apple Watch. He rushed home to take her to the ER where she was diagnosed with a concussion and sinus cavity injury.
"It could have been a lot worse," Sara said. "If it would have been one of my children, that could have been deadly."
She was hesitant to share her injury publicly but decided it was important to help prevent further "freak accidents." (Her particular model was not under any sort of recall at the time.)
"I felt like as a mom it was the right thing to do," Sara said. "Everyone has that in common—everyone does laundry."
Her Facebook post urged families to close their laundry room doors when doing laundry and be cautious if they hear issues with their machine to avoid putting themselves at risk. The post has already been shared almost 48,000 times and racked up 17,000 likes and 8,000 comments.
Sara also told CBS News that a Whirlpool representative from the company's safety department responded three days after she reported what happened, and they have agreed to replace the washer and dryer.
"We are in with the consumer and are in the process of exchanging the washer (and the dryer) so we can analyze what happened," spokesperson Kristine Sherman told CountryLiving.com. "Although we cannot speculate about what happened with this particular product, Whirlpool is committed to delivering safe, innovative products to consumers."
WATCH: The Best Time to Use Your Appliances