Hydrangea are the go-to flower for adding a big burst of color to your yard without making a huge investment (or planting dozens of tiny clusters of blooms). But, as common as they are, there's a lot you probably didn't realize about them, like:
1. There are around 70-75 species of hydrangea.
2. They grow EVERYWHERE. From Southern Asia to the Americas.
3. Hydrangea lovers beware, do not EAT them, they are moderately toxic.
4. Lana del Rey gives the beloved flower a call out in her song ".
5. In Asia, giving someone pink hydrangeas symbolizes that you are the beat to their heart.
6. The flower was apparently first discovered in Japan.
7. No shock value here, keep your hydrangeas hydrated. They are very thirsty flowers.
8. The colors of the flowers are affected by the aluminum ions in the soil.
9. They are produced from early spring to late autumn.
10. Actress used pink hydrangeas in her wedding bouquet.
11. Hydrangeas produce their main flower clusters from the tips of shoots formed from the previous season.
12. There is an (I am currently considering a membership).
13. Apparently, they are
Follow Miescisko on .