- GMA anchor Lara Spencer is under fire for a comment she made about Prince George's involvement in ballet during a Thursday morning segment.
- Many are calling Lara's comments "harmful" and labeling her a "bully."
- Lara has since apologized for the incident on Instagram.
Good Morning America co-host Lara Spencer is getting lots of backlash over a recent GMA segment about Prince George's school curriculum. Now, she's apologizing for her words on Instagram.
It all started on Thursday when Lara and her co-anchors, George Stephanopoulos and Amy Robach, were discussing how the 6-year-old royal would be taking on "religious studies, computer programming, poetry, and ballet," in addition to subjects like "math, science, and history" at his London private school, St. Thomas's Battersea.
While covering the topic though, Lara and the audience started laughing at the mention of George's studies. Then, Lara declared while giggling, "Prince William said Prince George absolutely loves ballet … I have news for you Prince William, we’ll see how long that lasts."
Her reaction to Prince George's interest in dance immediately sparked outrage, with many accusing the GMA co-anchor of "bullying" the young royal.
- "unbelievable stupidity on lara Spencer's part for laughing at and shaming prince George for taking ballet #firelaraspencer" - @AnneMarieBent13
- "Disappointed in Lara Spencer and @GMA for their callous mocking of Prince George for being a boy who loves ballet. My boy loves ballet and has to be brave to do what he loves because of bullies like Lara Spencer and GMA. So much for inclusiveness,Disney. #boysdancetoo" - @Heather55172321
In response to the backlash, Lara posted a photo of a field overlooking mountains on her Instagram, along with an apology.
"My sincere apologies for an insensitive comment I made in pop news yesterday. From ballet to anything one wants to explore in life, I say GO FOR IT. I fully believe we should all be free to pursue our passions. Go climb your mountain-and love every minute of it," she wrote on Friday.
Despite her message, fans on her page still overwhelmed her comments section with messages like "lame apology for bullying a child" and "it’s funny how quick your opinions changed after it went viral. "
This controversy aside, way before Lara brought up George's love of ballet on GMA, Prince William spoke about his son's involvement in ballet at a Radio Teen 1 Heroes event in October 2018. His message then is one that everyone can truly get behind.
"If it’s something you love, you do what you love," Prince William said. "Don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise. Keep at it.”
Follow Miescisko on Instagram.