Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
1. The producers tried to give Daniel Radcliffe green eyes and Hermione buck teeth like in the books, . Sadly, Daniel had a terrible allergic reaction to his green lenses and had to stop wearing them, while Emma Watson couldn't speak clearly wearing her false buck teeth.
2. The Duke Humfrey's Library made . Even though the historic library usually strictly forbids bringing flames into the library for any reason, they made an exception for Harry Potter. It was the first exception in hundreds of years.
3. Emma Watson . The casting team held auditions at elementary schools all across Britain to find their Hermione, but when they got to Emma's school, she had no desire to audition (even though everyone else at school did). It was Emma's teacher who convinced her to audition, and she ended up being the last girl that day. To think she got the role after that!
4. J.K. Rowling . She was offered the role of Lily Potter in the Mirror of Erised scene, but she turned it down and the role went to Geraldine Somerville instead. (Come on Jo! You would have been perfect!)
5. J.K. Rowlings requested that . The only major exception was the casting of Verne Troyer, a.k.a. Mini-Me from Austin Power, as Griphook. His American accent was later dubbed over in the film.
6. All the food you see in the great hall scenes is 100% real. Director Chris Columbus from the books perfectly (and he totally did). The only problem is the food spoiled really easily under the hot production lights and created a super unpleasant odor. That's why for future HP movies, they froze food and created molds to make the fake food look more realistic.
7. Was Harry really a great wizard? Despite him being referred to as a great wizard quite a bit throughout, Harry never actually casts a single spell in this movie.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
8. Many cars were harmed in the making of the Whomping Willow scene. in the filming of the scene where Harry and Ron crashed into the Whomping Willow.
9. Draco Malfoy's funniest line was . Tom made up the line, "I didn't know you could read," (which he said to Harry when he looked like Goyle because of the polyjuice potion) on the spot because he'd forgotten his line.
10. Hugh Grant was . He had to pull out because of scheduling conflicts. Jude Law was also considered, but he was deemed too young.
11. Rupert Grint has an . So he didn't have to do much acting in the scene where he and Harry meet Aragog.
12. Hermione was meant to at the end of the movie when she runs into the Great Hall. Since Emma Watson was too embarrassed to hug the boys in the scene, Christopher Columbus changed it so that she would hug Harry and then begin to hug Ron but get too embarrassed and shake his hand. The change actually worked well to build up their love/hate relationship that continued throughout the books. We all know how that ended!
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
13. The characters in this movie for the first time, at least in some scenes. Director Alfonso Cuarón thought that the characters wearing everyday clothes would show their personalities, so he told the rest of the Hogwarts students to wear their uniforms any way they wanted so the wizards' school would look more realistic. You'll notice some students wearing their uniforms neatly while others look disheveled with crooked ties and untucked shirts.
14. The case of the three Dumbledores. The role of Dumbledore was recast after Richard Harris (the original Dumbledore) sadly passed away shortly after Chamber of Secrets was released. Many people mistakenly believe Ian McKellan took over the role of Dubmledore, but it was actually Michael Gambon who took on the role. The confusion probably stems from Ian's role as the legendary Gandalf in Lord of the Rings, who looks very similar to Dumbledore.
15. Harry Melling almost lost his role of Dudley Dursley. that he no longer fit the heavy-set character's description. Instead of recasting him, though, producers decided to put him in a fat suit for the movie.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
16. Alan Rickman . New director Mike Newell didn't know this fact when he commented on Alan's amazing eye color, and Alan surprised him by popping out his right in front of him!
17. Why Harry was only shown dancing in the Yule Ball scene might surprise you. While the rest of the cast got three weeks of dancing practice, Daniel was only able to get in four days because he had a much heavier filming schedule. For this reason, they mainly used shots of Harry dancing from the waist up to avoid showing his stumbling feet.
18. The character Nigel, who first appears in GoF and then in OotP, does not appear in the books at all. It is believed that he was introduced to act as a substitute for Colin Creevey and his brother Dennis because of his short stature, and his idolizing of Harry.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
19. The Black family tree portrait was super authentic. J.K. Rowling for the Black family tree tapestry, along with details of relations between every member.
20. The radish earrings worn by Luna Lovegood were , the actress who played her.
21. Tonk's hair deviated from the books. While it was described as bubble gum pink in the books, it was because the filmmakers felt pink should only be associated with Umbridge.
22. Daniel's eyes had to be in his possession scene. Obviously, he couldn't wear s (see fact #3).
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
23. The actor who played Young Tom Riddle is related to the actor who played Voldemort. Hero Fiennes-Tiffin is actually Ralph Fiennes' nephew.
24. The script prompted J.K. Rowling to first reveal that Dumbledore is gay. The original script included a line where Dumbledore talks about a crush he once had on a girl, which led Rowling to clarify that Dumbledore was gay and only ever had a crush on the great wizard Grindelwald. while promoting the final book in the series.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1 & 2)
25. Filming the "Seven Harrys" scene . Daniel Radcliffe counted over 90 takes just for that single shot.
25. Bill Weasley and Mad Eye Moody have a familiar connection. Domhnall Gleeson portrays Bill Weasley and is the son of Brendan Gleeson, who plays Mad Eye Moody. Can you spot the resemblance?
26. Voldemort was not scripted, but improvised by Ralph Fiennes. Tom Felton's shocked response of stopping in his tracks was totally authentic.
27. Daniel Radcliffe went through by the end of filming the series. Which is oddly fitting since he probs would have gone through that many in the books too had it not been for the Reparo charm.