In the , royal writer Katie Nicholl takes a look at how Kate Middleton and Prince William have modified their lifestyle into a more private one since the birth of Princess Charlotte. The Cambridges, who now reside at Anmer Hall in the extremely remote county of Norfolk, have created what Nicholl calls a "cocoon of normalcy." In detailing their daily life, Nicholl also touches on just how hands-on Kate is as a mother and human being. Here are some facts that may surprise you.
1. Kate is in charge. Really: She "runs the 10-bedroom house with just a handful of domestic staff, including full-time nanny Maria Borallo and a housekeeper."
2. She will cook the food you eat. She also loves to buy local produce at Back to the Garden, a butcher and deli shop that's also a café and restaurant.
3. She's efficient at mealtimes, which are described as "hectic family occasions with pots of food served straight to the table."
4. Kate will let you enjoy junk food from time to time. For example, George occasionally munches on French fries.
5. She will personally bathe you and put you to bed.
6. She will read to you: "George's favorite bedtime story is The Gruffalo."
7. She doesn't believe in locking up your BFF in a crate: "Lupo, the family's cocker spaniel, has free run of the house."
8. Kate makes sure you see your friends frequently: "George and Charlotte are never short of playdates."
9. She will dress you appropriately (so she doesn't have to deal with extra laundry later, probably): "Kate always dresses [George] in a waterproof romper suit because he doesn't just jump in puddles—he likes to kick around and then sit in them," according to a local.
10. Kate will pick you up from school. George, who attends a local nursery three days a week, gets dropped off and picked up by his parents.
11. She will call you when she's away on royal duty. When Kate and Will travelled to , they left the kids behind because of the hectic tour schedule. "During the trip Kate admitted that 'we miss them terribly' and she called home frequently," according to Nicholl.
12. She will protect you to the ends of the Earth: As VF points out, to date, is the only occasion she's been displayed in public. The rest of her sightings have been through official photos released by the royal family.