Whether you're lucky enough to still have your grandma around or are a grandma yourself, these are the things we think every family matriarch deserves to hear.
1. "It means everything to me that you still have those arts and crafts projects I gifted you when I was in elementary school."
Years later, and that hand turkey you made is still hanging on her fridge. Plus, you know which drawer she stashed the childhood drawings you gave her.
2. "I always looked forward to sleeping over at your house when I was young."
When your mom and dad needed a break from you, she was always eager for some quality bonding time.
3. "You're the one who stuck up for me when I needed it the most."
If you were bullied as a child, she was the one who told that kid down the road to step off. She would do anything to defend you and make you feel like the most special person in the world.
4. "I wanted to follow in your footsteps for as long as I can remember."
The best part of being a grandma is getting to spoil the grandkids in a way she couldn't do with her own offspring.
5. "Your love turned me into the person I am today, and it will stay with me forever."
Your confidence comes from the pride she takes in everything you do.
6. "Even though I'm all grown up now, I still rely on your advice."
She taught you to be kind to others and you always think of her when you send handwritten thank-you notes.
7. "I'll pass on the lessons you taught me to my own children and grandchildren."
Some people may say etiquette rules are old fashioned, but you both know they'll never go out of style.
8. "I may have said the childhood photos of me all over your house are embarrassing, but they actually make me so happy."
If anyone thought you were still attractive when you were a teenager with braces and a bad haircut, it was definitely her.
9. "When I'm sick, I still use your home remedies to feel better."
Gargling salt when you have a sore throat always works.
10. "I don't know how you do it, but you always look timeless."
When you need to look especially presentable, you channel her charm and style (and break out the special jewelry she gifted you).
11. "I really was listening when you told me stories from 'the good old days.'"
No matter how many times she told you how she met your grandpa, it never got old. When she's gone, her stories will live on through you.
12. "Thank you for raising my mother to be just like you."
Sure she's hard on you sometimes, but you know she's doing her best — something she learned from grandma.
13. "I may not have called as often as I grew older, but you were always on my mind."
Every time your mother calls you, you ask about grandma.
14. "I never take off the bracelet you gave me."
In fact, your wearing it right now. Her taste was always impeccable.
15. "The way you brag to your friends about me is secretly really flattering."
Grandparents can be competitive when it comes to sharing stories of our successes and we love them for it.
16. "You always make even my smallest accomplishments seem like they matter."
That's why you make sure to tell her every detail going on in your life.
17. "No matter how many times I tried to master your signature sponge cake recipe, yours was always better."
But that won't stop you from trying to make it.
18. "You always know what's best for me, before I even realize it."
You're so glad she convinced you to take risks and go after your passions.
19. "I'm sorry I wasn't always there for you when you were sick."
When you're young, seeing your grandma in the hospital can be scary. But spending as much time by her side as possible will always be worth it.
20. "You're the person I look forward to seeing when I go back home."
You would say don't tell mom, but she probably already suspects it.