A 25-year-old woman in Llanrumney, Cardiff, Wales says she bursted into tears when she heard a "massive bang ... like a gunshot" one morning this past week. It turns out, it wasn't a firearm, but her IKEA SALMI table which had spontaneously shattered in her living room — and her toddler son was playing on a push-along car nearby.
Thankfully nobody was hurt, but the woman, who asked to remain anonymous, says she was very upset when she realized how seriously her son could have been injured. "It could have been so much worse if he was under the table," she told . "My dog too. I would have been devastated if it had hurt either of them."
For reference, this is what the table looked like before it shattered:
The woman says she cleaned the table regularly and hadn't noticed any chips or scratches before the incident. In response, IKEA says they use a special tempered glass that's designed to minimize risk should the glass table break and they are currently investigating the incident by ing the customer affected.
"The safety of our products is always our main priority and our entire range is tested rigorously to meet the highest standards," an IKEA spokesperson told . "Over time small knocks and fractures can affect the durability of tempered glass and this can cause breakage, even if such damage isn't visible."
However, this isn't the first time a glass IKEA product spontaneously shattered. Last year, a glass cabinet exploded near a 14-week-old and doctors said the baby could have been blinded by the experience. And just days ago another IKEA customer says his only three days after he bought it.
Our take: If you have young children or animals at home, you might want to keep glass IKEA pieces in a room behind closed doors. After all, it's better to be safe than sorry.