In what will be a major break with , the Queen will not lay a wreath at the Remembrance Sunday service to honor fallen soldiers this November.
According to multiple reports, the 91-year-old monarch has asked her son Prince Charles to take her place at the Cenotaph in London on November 12, while she and the Duke of Edinburgh watch from the balcony of the nearby Foreign and Commonwealth Office. It's believed that an equerry will place a wreath on behalf of the 96-year-old Duke, who retired earlier this year.
Although the Queen has missed Remembrance Sunday memorials in previous years, it will be the first time that she is present at the service but does not lay a wreath herself. She has been forced to skip only six services during her reign, including a 1983 trip to Kenya when Charles stepped in on behalf of his mother.
The Queen was also absent from the ceremony due to overseas visits in 1961, 1968 and 1999. The Duke of Edinburgh represented his wife when she was expecting her two youngest children, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward in 1959 and 1963.
An aide close to the royal family said the Duke is determined to attend the ceremony, while the Queen has chosen to be by her husband's side, reports .
"The Queen wishes to be alongside the Duke of Edinburgh and he will be in the balcony," said the source. Other members of the family, including the Duchess of Cambridge, the Duchess of Cornwall and the Countess of Wessex, often watch the service from the balcony.
The Queen's decision to hand over the role to her eldest son highlights the increasing number of duties being carried out by Charles and other royals. Prince William, who became a full-time royal earlier this year, has also following his grandfather's retirement in August.
WATCH: Kate Middleton Makes Her First Appearance Since Pregnancy News