When I cook this pasta for a dinner party, I know I have a winner — the secret is my light cream sauce. The best thing about it? It tastes even better the next day, if you can believe it. So I make the sauce in advance, then whip up the pasta and sear the scallops before serving. In the fall, I elevate the dish by adding shaved black truffles. It's so easy, and they make it extra delicious!
Truffle & Scallop Pasta With Lulu's Secret Sauce
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Truffle salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or Champagne
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3/4 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon truffle oil
- 1 box pappardelle pasta, preferably Cipriani brand
- 1 pound sea scallops, seared
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced lengthwise and seared
- 2 ounces black truffle, thinly shaved
1. In a saucepan, sauté shallots in butter over medium heat until tender. Sprinkle with truffle salt and white pepper. Add wine and bring to a boil. Add cream and boil gently, uncovered, about 7 minutes or until sauce thickens and coats a spoon, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Add Parmesan, stir for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and truffle oil; add more salt and pepper to taste.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and toss with the sauce. Adorn with the scallops, asparagus and truffle shavings before serving.
See something here you like? Check out our shopping guide for where to find it.
This story originally appeared in the October 2016 issue of Miescisko.