Here's a design rule we'll always stand by: If you want a room everyone will love, paint it blue. Whether it's a deep, dramatic cobalt, or a breezy, bright aqua, blue is the hue that always makes us sigh with contentment.
You really just can't go wrong with blue. Need proof? Here are 10 reasons to love this magnificent color.
1. Soft blue shades just make you go "ahh."
It's no surprise that designers use lighter shades to inspire calmness. A pale blue, like we see in this bedroom, has a rela effect that is only typically achieved after a glass of wine.
2. Darker shades have a buttoned-up elegance that make you sit up straight.
If color families were actual, real-people families, crisp dark blue would be the matriarch of a New England clan that can trace its roots to the Mayflower. Navy has a stately dignity of an especially refined lineage. Use it wisely. And please watch your posture.
3. Dramatic blues make you wish you could expound on philosophy.
When paired with polished wood, super-deep shades exude a scholarly air. It's the color of the library of the well-traveled intellectual who has never deigned to bring a paperback home.
4. Blues with warm undertones do "cozy" better than any other color.
Red's too intense, yellow is too bright, pale greens can be sleepy, and neutrals are boring. Check and mate.
5. You just can't overdo blue.
Using many different shades in one room surprisingly doesn't overwhelm the space. Each just brings out the other's true beauty.
6. Even blue accessories can completely change a room's mood.
Bring on the pillows, rugs, and curtains. In ocean blue, these accents will transport you to spring break (no tequila required).
7. It's the ideal for giving personality to a awkward little nook.
Dapper and debonair, royal blue turns a closet into a stylish built-in bar.
8. You can't be high-strung in a blue room.
Just take a look and you'll unclench. Blue is removes pretension from formal decor.
9. The lightest blues evoke vacation.
Pair a slightly neon shade with weathered wood, you can practically smell the invigorating sea air.
10. You don't even need a wall of windows when you've got blue.
A vibrant shade like cerulean or aquamarine injects brightness into any space. So go ahead, indulge in the hue.
TELL US: Do you love blue as much as we do?