We all love decorating a Christmas tree during the festive season, but sometimes it’s fun to mix things up. As the trend for modern trees, single branches and more replace the humble Noble Fir, the simple ladder shelf tree is an exciting new trend to try in the run-up to Christmas.
An alternative to a traditional Christmas tree, the ladder shelf tree is an easy DIY and you can personalise it exactly to your needs. All you need is a ladder shelf and some decorations. We love this one by .
Fancy making your own? The best thing about a ladder shelf is that you can literally add anything you want. We love the idea of adding stockings on Christmas Eve, ready for Santa’s visit on Christmas morning or the way has decorated hers, with letters to Santa amongst decorations and candles.
And has been transformed into a festive centrepiece, with vintage baubles and Christmas lights.
Alternatively, why not make yours into a cute advent calendar, or hang Christmas cards from its shelves? You could also mix it up, adding baubles, tinsel and even small gifts for your recipients to find on Christmas Day onto yours – the choice is up to you!
Make it to your taste and wow your guests with your choice of Christmas tree this year. They’ll soon be wanting one of their own too. Here’s how to make it:
YOU WILL NEED:
- Ladder shelf ()
- Decorations of your choice – Christmas baubles, tinsel, candles, lights ()
- Optional: Small brown envelopes and washi tape ()
1. Position your ladder shelf where you want it, preferably up against a wall. Depending on its use, you may want to paint your shelf white to make the colours pop, but this is entirely up to you.
2. Add your chosen embellishments. Gold and silver Christmas baubles work well, as do reds and greens for a more traditional look. Alternatively, the ladder shelf makes a great place to add stockings on Christmas Eve, small gifts on Christmas morning or advent envelopes.
3. If you’d like to make the advent calendar, decorate small brown envelopes with numbers from 1 – 24, add tiny gifts or a chocolate to each one and attach to the ladder with a piece of red ribbon.
These ladder shelves have many purposes and can be used as an addition to your Christmas tree or an alternative. It’s up to you!