If you’ve got a pile of old board games in the attic it might be time to dust them off – according to antiques experts, they could be worth a fortune!
Online antiques marketplace, LoveAntiques.com, has teamed up with toy and game expert, Peter Jenkinson, to reveal the most valuable board games you might already have hiding at home.
The highest value board game on the market today is a bejewelled chess set priced at a whopping £7.8 million! One existing Monopoly Atlantic City board game was valued at a sizeable £90,000.
Take a look at the top 10 most expensive games in the list below…
Top 10 most valuable board games
1. Bejewelled Chess Set with gold, platinum, diamonds and rubies – £7.8 million
2. Charles Hollander Backgammon Set – £3.8 million
3. Monopoly Atlantic City, 1933 – £90,000
4. Fox and Geese, 1830 – £14,000 plus
5. 19th Century Coromandel Games Compendium – £2,200
6. Monopoly French Edition, 1957 – £2,000 plus
7. Go Board with Masame wood and slate pieces – £1,500
8. Star Wars Imperial Assault (full set with accessories) – £800
9. Gioco dell’Oca, 1930s – £500 plus
10. Fireball Island, 1986 (full set) – £180 plus
Jenkinson shared some tips for avid board gamers looking to invest in collectables, including that the items must be in top condition to command the highest prices. Packaging also needs to be in good condition and all the pieces need to be present, or the price will drop dramatically. He suggests keeping board games in a safe place, away from dust, sunlight and moisture.
The game expert also revealed that it’s not normally worth investing in modern board games, as they tend to be plastic and disposable, but collectors could browse Kickstarter to see what’s coming out.
Will Thomas, managing director at LoveAntiques.com said: ‘Board games have been popular for so many years and many have become sought-after collectable items, but it’s fascinating to discover just how much people will pay for limited editions of these games.
‘If you have a love of board games, you never know – you could be sitting on a goldmine!’
For more information and investor guidelines, visit here.